Thursday, October 2, 2014

10/1/14 Louisiana Fair Grounds, Shrevport, LA

I was awake at 6:30 and went straight to my laptop (after brushing teeth) to tweak my seminar presentation that I was giving this morning at 9am.  Being this is a FMCA Rally all the attendees are RV'ing in motorhomes so I removed the slides from the presentation that pertained to trailers & 5th wheels only.  I went over it to make sure everything was correct and to refresh myself, sometimes I can get a little nervous before I give a presentation so I like to go over it in my head and re-read my notes to make sure I don't forget anything.  Once I felt prepped and ready I carried my projector, screen, laptop & a dinner table down to the presentation room.  I needed the dinner table to set the projector on for the slide show.  When I first stepped outside it was like a heat wave hit me in the face.  I looked at the thermometer, 78 degrees at 8:00.  That's not a good sign cause there's no air-conditioning in the vendors building.  I got everything set up in the room I was assigned and walked back home.  On the way back I ran into Jami walking Jemma so I walked with them back to the camper.  I hung out a bit and then went back to my seminar room to welcome those that wanted to attend my seminar about Weight & Tire Safety.  I was getting worried no one was going to show till finally at 8:55 two people showed up, then between 9 & 9:05 about another 20 or so people walked in and sat down.  People arriving a little late seems to be the norm so I usually don't start my seminars till 5 or so minuets after the scheduled time.  In all I had around 25 people attend, which is good because the room was only big enough to fit about 27 chairs.  The seminar went very well and I had a lot of good questions and participation from everyone. 


Once I was finished and everyone had left I packed up everything and began to walk back home.  Jami had texted me to let me know she was outside with Jemma to help me carry some of the stuff.  Once home we put everything inside and jumped in the Toyota to check out an additional weight site that I was told (just before I started my seminar) had been approved for us to do our RV weighing's.  We drove to the site and checked everything to make sure it was level enough and had plenty of room for the RV's to get in and out.  Everything looked good so that worry is now out of the way.  We went back home and grabbed the stuff we needed to take with us to our booth and walked to the vendor building to get set up.  Today the vendor building doesn't open till noon time for the Rally Attendees so it wasn't a rushed thing to hurry up and get set up.


We got everything ready with 20 minuets to spare so we decided to go look at some of the new motorhomes they have on display right next to the vendor building.  They sure are nice motorhomes, but we always struggle to find a large enough kitchen for us.  Jami loves cooking so a functional kitchen is a must for us.  As normal no kitchen was to our (Jami's) liking, but there was one that was different, it had an "L" shaped kitchen in the very front behind the drivers seat and additional cI was awake at 6:30 and went straight to my laptop (after brushing teeth) to tweak my seminar presentation that I was giving this morning at 9am.  Being this is a FMCA Rally all the attendees are RV'ing in motorhomes so I removed the slides from the presentation that pertained to trailers & 5th wheels only.  I went over it to make sure everything was correct and to refresh myself, sometimes I can get a little nervous before I give a presentation so I like to go over it in my head and re-read my notes to make sure I don't forget anything.  Once I felt prepped and ready I carried my projector, screen, laptop & a dinner table down to the presentation room.  I needed the dinner table to set the projector on for the slide show.  When I first stepped outside it was like a heat wave hit me in the face.  I looked at the thermometer, 78 degrees at 8:00.  That's not a good sign cause there's no air-conditioning in the vendors building.  I got everything set up in the room I was assigned and walked back home.  On the way back I ran into Jami walking Jemma so I walked with them back to the camper.  I hung out a bit and then went back to my seminar room to welcome those that wanted to attend my seminar about Weight & Tire Safety.  I was getting worried no one was going to show till finally at 8:55 two people showed up, then between 9 & 9:05 about another 20 or so people walked in and sat down.  People arriving a little late seems to be the norm so I usually don't start my seminars till 5 or so minuets after the scheduled time.  In all I had around 25 people attend, which is good because the room was only big enough to fit about 27 chairs.  The seminar went very well and I had a lot of good questions and participation from everyone. 


Once I was finished and everyone had left I packed up everything and began to walk back home.  Jami had texted me to let me know she was outside with Jemma to help me carry some of the stuff.  Once home we put everything inside and jumped in the Toyota to check out an additional weight site that I was told (just before I started my seminar) had been approved for us to do our RV weighing's.  We drove to the site and checked everything to make sure it was level enough and had plenty of room for the RV's to get in and out.  Everything looked good so that worry is now out of the way.  We went back home and grabbed the stuff we needed to take with us to our booth and walked to the vendor building to get set up.  Today the vendor building doesn't open till noon time for the Rally Attendees so it wasn't a rushed thing to hurry up and get set up.


We got everything ready with 20 minuets to spare so we decided to go look at some of the new motorhomes they have on display right next to the vendor building.  They sure are nice motorhomes, but we always struggle to find a large enough kitchen for us.  Jami loves cooking so a functional kitchen is a must for us.  As normal no kitchen was to our (Jami's) liking, but there was one that was different, it had an "L" shaped kitchen in the very front behind the drivers seat and additional
ountertop behind the passengers seat along with the oven.  That was something I had never seen before.



We went back into the vender building where it was smothering hot.  All the vendors were sweeting, fanning themselves and commenting on how hot it was.  So I joined in and began sweeting, fanning myself and commenting :)  They did begin to bring in some large fans to help, but I don't think it did much except for the people directly in front of them.  We were not that lucky.  Some of the vendors went back to their RV's and brought small fans back with them to help.  We carry a small fan too, but our booth is in the center isle which does not have any electrical power,  guess we can call it a weight loss plan :)  It was miserable.


We had 11 Rally attendees sign up to get weighed today which is pretty good.  There are approximately 400 motorhomes at this Rally so were hopping we can sign up 40 of them to get weighed.  More would be nice, but we always try to get near 10% of the RV's at a Rally signed up to get weighed.  The Carriage Rally we did a couple weeks ago we did 20%, that was great!!


The vendor building closes at 4:30 so from there we went home to take Jemma for a walk, after that we jumped in the Toyota to first go to  "Best Buy" to drop Jami's old laptop off for repair.  We've been having issues with it which is why we purchased an new one, but also we purchased a security program that came with free technical support for 3 devises.  When we got there we learned that it can take 3-5 days so we didn't drop it off since there was a chance it may not be done before we leave the area.  From there we needed to do some grocery shopping so we went to a "Super Target" a few stores down.  Once that was done we were getting pretty hungry so we parked at a "Sonics".  Its been a very long time since either of us has been to one so it was a little exciting.  Well, after eating our chicken sandwiches we were no longer excited about it, wasn't the best chicken sandwich for sure.  We headed back home and searched for an easier way for the motorhomes we weigh to exit the Fair Grounds.  The way the directed all of us into the Fair Ground would require everyone to make a left hand turn on a busy 4 lane road with no traffic light.  We found an easy exit with a traffic light next to the on ramps to I-20 which is were most people want to go.  We took Jemma on another walk when we got home then it was time to take showers, and we sure needed it.


After we washed the layer of sweet off we sat down to enjoy an evening of TV in the ice cold  air-conditioning of our rig.  Oh So Nice!!!  We didn't move till about 10:30 when we took Jemma for her last walk of the day and then went to bed.  Tomorrow is supposed to be even hotter than today with 90 degrees forecasted.  So excited about that :)

No comments:

Post a Comment