Monday, October 6, 2014

10/5/14 Rocky Point Campground. Texarkana, TX

Wow is it early!!  I woke up at 4:15 to the sounds of our cat "Ivy" throwing up so as normal getting back to sleep was probably not going to happen.  I think I did get a short nap in, but by 5:30 I decided to get up.  I finished writing yesterdays post and then played games on my tablet to pass the time.  Jami was out of bed by 6:30 so as she was getting ready I had a bowl of cereal and then took Jemma for a walk. 


Around 7:15 we jumped in the Toyota and headed to the weigh site to get set up.  Once set up we waited for our first arrival which was right on time.  From there the scheduled weighing's were arriving just in time as the previous RV pulled off the scales they could pull on the scales with hardly and wait time.  We did have 2 people walk up that were not scheduled to us asking if we had time to weigh them.  Of course we do!  We gave them the paperwork to fill out and told them to drive their RV over when they were ready.  So with the extra weighing's we did 20 total which is much better than it was looking a couple days ago.  Of course our 2nd to last weighing was a hassle, after we weighed him we found that he was overloading is drive axle but his tag axle (additional axle behind the drive axle) was able to carry a lot more weight.  He pulled off the scales and into a parking lot across the street to adjust the amount of weight on the tag axle while we weighed our last RV.  He then cam back over to us asking us to weight him again to see if the adjustment he made helped, FOR FREE.  After us debating back and forth, me telling him he would need to pay an additional $60 and him telling me all the reason why I shouldn't charge him I finally told him I would do it for half price, final offer :)  He accepted with a grown and pulled his RV back around, the adjustment was not enough so he quickly went to the back of his RV where the adjustment knob is and began turning it.  He got it pretty close so I told him to drive it back around to let the air suspension move up and down and pull back on the scales.  He did and his number were all within his ratings.  Now I'm glad to help and want too, but its frustrating when people think our time has no value and the high cost of the scales have no value.  AAAARG!!  That hole ordeal kept us there an additional hour so it was just after 12:00 when we packed up and headed home to get our RV ready for todays travel to "Rocky Point" COE campground in Texas.  Fortunately it only a 90 mile drive, but we're missing our NASCAR race. :(

We were hooked up ready to go pretty quick so we drove over to a full hook up campsite and dumped our tanks and hit the road just after 1:00.  The first 5 miles was on I-20 West, then 10 miles on 220 East, from there we were off the freeways for the rest of the trip!  YA!!!  The rest of the trip was just the way we like it, nice roads with very little traffic.



2 PICTURES OF THE ROADS

During this trip we leave Louisiana and enter Texas, barely :)  Texas holds a special place in my heart cause I was born in Houston, TX and lived in surrounding areas till I was 13 years old.  The most memorable thing for me was the horse ranches.  My Mom had friends that owned a horse ranch which I began working at when I was barely a teenager.  I guess you would call it work, to me it was fun :)  My Mom bought me a horse which stayed at this ranch where I was given lessons on how to show horses.  Eventually my horse was sold and we moved to New Jersey.   I could go on and on about that wonderful time in my life.  My Mom was a single parent at the time so it wasn't easy for her to provide me with that experience.  Thanks Mom for all that you sacrificed for me!!!!!!
Picture of Texas Sign


The trip took only about 2 hours and was a nice calm drive.  Once we arrived at "Rocky Point Campground" we parked the RV by the office checked with them on what sites were available.  The camp host running the office were very nice and printed me out a sheet showing each sites availability.  We drove around checking out all the campsites and settled on site #D-29 which is a 30amp electric & water site for $22 a night.  We drove back to the office and paid for 2 nights, then drove the RV to the campsite and got it parked and set up. 


Our Campsite, Nice!


We were even able to get our roof top satellite to work, GREAT!!  Now we can at least catch the last 40 or so laps left in the NASCAR race :)  Its a beautiful park as most COE's are, but the sites aren't spread out as much as we would like and you don't get a whole lot of privacy.  But compared to where we just came from this is AWESOME ;)  We took Jemma for a much needed LONG walk around the campground and to the lake.  I think she was digging it, I know I was!


 First stop.... the beach area


 Then through the campground to the boat ramp on the other end of the campground


And another dip for Jemma ;)



Jemma resting after her long walk :)


Once we returned the announcement was made, "we're cooking outside" which means "Get out the grill". So first I hooked up the water that I forgot to do when we set up, guess I was so excited to be in a nice campground I forgot my duties.  After I got that done I pulled out the grill and set it up on the picnic table.  While waiting for some potatoes to cook in the oven Jami and I sat outside enjoying the perfect weather.  Jami was on her I-pad and I began writing todays journal entry.  I find it much easier to write at least 1/2 of the days activity in the journal the same day and then finish it the following morning.  That way I don't forget to tell you as much either :)  We had an armadillo walking around near our campsite which was driving Jemma nuts.


Once the Potatoes were near ready I put the chicken on the grill that Jami prepared.  The chicken was ready to come off the grill just in time for the potatoes to come out of the oven, perfect!  We sat inside to eat dinner and watch the last 40 laps of the NASCAR race that was recorded as soon as we arrived here and the satellite got locked on to its signal. 


We both got shower's, Jami took hers first then it was my turn.  Earlier when we arrived here we talked about having a campfire tonight, but hadn't decided for sure either way yet.  When I went outside after my shower Jami was building a fire, guess the decision was made :)  It was a nice night and the temperatures cooled down just enough to enjoy the heat of the fire. 


Feet in front of fire, its my signature photo I send to family & friends ;)


We enjoyed the fire till just after 11pm before going inside for the night.  We're so looking forward to sleeping in tomorrow :)

No comments:

Post a Comment