Monday, September 15, 2014

9/14/14 More work and some camping etiquette

This morning I woke up at 7am to a diesel engine idling for 30 - 40 minuets.  I got up, got dressed and went outside to watch a camper on the road behind us packing up to leave.  I could see him from our campsite so I grabbed a chair and did some "people watching" :)  Sometimes it can be fun watching people pulling in or pulling out with there RV'S.  Some times you can get some pretty funny yelling going back and forth between husband and wife.  I remember some great laughs when I owned a boat watching some of the arguments at boat ramps.  I know I shouldn't laugh at other peoples frustrations, but sometime you just cant help it.:)  Is this bad of me?  Usually I would and do eventually offer to help.  Anyway, this gentlemen after backing up to his camper and hooking up felt the need to let the truck idle, and idle, and idle.  We've noticed that a lot on our travels the need for people to let there loud diesel engines idle.  In all fairness in years back I used to do the same thing, I guess it was a habit from the days when I drove semi's for a living.  Once I started my semi in the morning it was rare for it to be turned off till the end of the day.  Had to keep that air conditioner going :)  Well, I've since learned the error of my ways that it can be annoying to those around you and plus with the cost of fuel these day its money right out of the exhaust.  So proper etiquette in a camp ground is to turn your engine off when you can, I'm sure all those camped next to this gentleman would have appreciated it at 7am in the morning :) 

It was a bit chilly this morning so Jemma got a towel to use as a blanket :)  And of course her bed is up in a chair.  She's not too spoiled!
 


Jami was up around 8:30 getting her morning coffee and then it was a waiting game.  We had asked all the attendees to the Carriage Rally that wanted to get there RV's weighed to call us an hour before arriving so we could be ready for them.  We got our first phone call around 10:45am so we jumped in the truck and drove to the front of the campground where we weighed RV's yesterday.  We got everything set up and waited for there arrival. 
 
 
We got them weighed and waited for the others to show up.  We had 4 or 5 to weigh today along with a few "truck only" weighing's.  When we weigh trailers or 5th wheels we have to also weigh the truck without the RV hooked up so we can find out how much weight the RV is putting on the truck, so some of the attendee's that are getting there RV weighed next Sunday or Monday after the Carriage Rally ends are bringing there truck to us today to get weighed.  Most of the "truck only" weighing's will be Thursday & Friday between 12 & 2pm, or at least that's when we've asked them to bring there trucks to the weigh site. 
 
We finished up close to 5pm, we had to wait awhile for one of the weighing's to arrive.  Once we finished we packed everything back up and went back home to take Jemma for a walk.  During our walk we noticed a small waterfall in the back of the campground.  Calling it a waterfall may be stretching it a bit :) But it was Cool!

 
For some reason Jami & I both felt exhausted, maybe from being in the sun.  So we jumped back in the truck and headed to Hardees for dinner.  We went through the drive-thru and headed back home to eat and watch the Sprint Cup NASCAR Race that we had set to record today.  After that we watched a little more TV then it was off to bed.  Tomorrow we don't have any weighing's, but we do need to do some grocery shopping!!
 
Shane Hess

1 comment:

  1. I had reminded Shane of the fact that letting the engine idle also kills our ozone! He stated "he would rather be seen as a penny pincher, rather than a tree hugger" LOL

    ReplyDelete