Monday, September 29, 2014

9/28/14 Beaver Dam Campground, Minden, LA.

I have a good amount of pictures for this post, but I can not get them to post at this time.  As soon the problem is fixed I will add the pictures in so keep checking back,  Sorry




9:30!!!!  That's when I crawled out of bed this morning.  Wow that's late for me.  Jami made it out around 10:00.  We certainly slept in.  As usual we sat outside with our electronics, Jami with her coffee and me with a soda.  It was almost 10:45 when Jami made us some scrabbled eggs w/ sausage mixed in and some toast & grapes.  Boy did that hit the spot!!  After our breakfast/lunch we went back outside to enjoy the beautiful weather we've been having, Plus I had a few maintenance items I needed to do.  But first we listened to a pod cast of an interview that the Executive Director of RVSEF (our boss Walter Cannon) did a few weeks ago that aired today.  He did a great job as expected. 


Now it was work time, the first thing I did was remove our 8' portable ladder from the back of the camper and trim back a few branches that were touching our camper, then it was time to deal with a rubber seal at the top of our kitchen slide that keeps moving out of place when we travel.  This seal is attached to the RV and runs horizontal across the top of the kitchen slide.  There is a plastic track first screwed the whole way across the slide opening, then this rubber is slide in one side of the track and pulled to the other side.  To keep this seal from moving there is a screw in each end of the seal.  Its job is to seal out the weather & water when the slide is pulled in for travel.  What is happening is as we travel down the road somehow the seal begins to move forward, I'm guessing the slide-out must be moving or vibrating in such a way to make this happen.  The screws in the seal to hold it in place has somehow pulled through the seal.  Sometimes I get into projects or a maintenance jobs like this were I wish Kenny (my step-father) was here to give his opinion and/or help me fix something.  I've moved this seal back into its correct position twice before, but this time I wanted to see what I could do to prevent it from moving again.  I decided adding a screw with a washer on it in hopes it wouldn't pull through the seal.  I finally got the seal back into position and on its track and added the screw with the washer to each end, I would liked to added one in the middle too, but with the slide toppers that would have been a little more work than I wanted to get into today.

Tree branches trimmed
Top horizontal rubber is the piece that keeps moving forward
 

Okay, now on to the next item, wash the bugs off the front cap of camper.  But first Jami stopped me by saying "have you lubricated our slide outs"?  Jami participates in a couple RV related forums and a question about lubricating the slides outs came up.  Well, no I havent, so I grabbed a can of silicon spray and prayed them.

Now I must admit that lately I haven't been removing the bugs from the front of the RV cap as often as I should.  I used to do it every time we traveled, but not lately.  I'd like to say I've been to busy, but we all know that's not true :)  I moved the ladder to the front and started cleaning the cap with Dri - Wash n Guard.  This is a waterless cleaning product that not only cleans, but waxes to.  You spay it on, then wipe, then when it hazes over like wax you wipe/buff it off.  It works really good and makes the RV and trucks look great., but it does take longer than washing with water and much more elbow grease.  Its a great solution for when you are not allowed to use the campground water for washing or if you want to get a protective wax on while cleaning.  About half way done I had to stop because the sun was shinning on the cap drying the solution to fast.  Perfect timing, my arm needed a break anyway.

Jami and I decided to take Jemma for a walk on the trail that passed by our campsite, we had no idea where it went or how long it was, so we were going to find out :)  It was a nice trail with a few small wooded bridges.  Jemma chased a deer, then almost got in trouble with a snake.  I can never remember the saying about the red, yellow & black snake, which is what Jemma found.  Luckily Jemma left the snake alone and it turn out after I Googled it not to be a Coral snake but to be non-poisonous, probably a Florida Scarlet snake.  But I re-learned the saying, Red touches Yellow, Kill a fellow.  Red touches Black, friend of Jack. 



We were tracking our walk with an App on Jami's phone and could see that this trail was continuing to lead us away from the campground, we were hoping it would eventually begin to loop back.  After a little over a mile and a half we decided to turn around and head back.  When we returned it was a 3.5 mile hike in all.  By then the sun had moved enough for me to continue cleaning the front cap of the camper. 
SPANKY CLEAN FRONT CAP!!! ;)


By the time that was done Jami started cooking dinner.  Pork chops, green beans, corn & left over macaroni and cheese shells.  It was so good!!!  After dinner we got showers and watch TV till it was 11:00 and time for bed. 

No comments:

Post a Comment